The mission of the Mattituck Laurel
Historical Society and Museums is to
involve the community in, and provide
education about, the diverse historical
heritage of the area.
Love Lane looking South, circa 1935
1970 The New Egypt School House was
donated by Thornton Smith of
Plandome and Camp Mineola ,
Mattituck, and was moved to its
present site in October.
HISTORICAL SOCIETY, INC.
By Norman Wamback, Curator/Historian
1964 The first meeting was organized
by Dorothea Delahanty on May 15th.
1965 By July, the membership had grown
1966 1) On March 28th,
the Charter was received.
2) The house and barn were given
to the Society on May 23rd
by Cedric Hill Wickham, saving
the buildings from demolition.
1969 1) The Provisional Charter
2) The Milk House was donated from
the Bergen Farm, Main Road.
3) Lot 57 was purchased from
Mattituck Estates with a $5,000
donation made by R.C. Kopf
in memory of his wife.
To do this, the Mattituck Laurel
Historical Society and Museums
maintains a museum complex &
archives, acquires and preserves relics
and histories, and offers exhibits and
programs of interest to all ages.